Nurse practitioners actively engage in the process of translating nursing knowledge into practice, thereby establishing evidence-based approaches within the discipline. Throughout this process, a theoretical framework provides a meaningful context to guide and support the evidence-based practice. The purpose of this assignment is to identify a theory or theoretical model which can be used as a framework for a future evidence-based project during your nurse practitioner education.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes:
- Apply nursing theory as a framework to guide the translation of knowledge and implementation of evidence-based practice in future professional settings. (CO #2)
- Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to the components, relationships among the components, and application to advanced nursing practice. (CO#4)
In Week 7, students will create a PowerPoint slide show with notes pages to evaluate the use of a theory for an EBP issue or concern. In Week 8, students will create a recording of the presentation for the Peer Discussion thread.
Criteria for Content
Review literature regarding issues or concerns within your selected nurse practitioner specialty.
Select a theory or theoretical model which is relevant to your nurse practitioner specialty and would offer a meaningful context for evidence-based practice surrounding the issue or concern which you identified.
In a PowerPoint Presentation, address the following.
- Introduction to the presentation
- Identify and describe a theory or theoretical model, and explain its relevance to your nurse practitioner specialty.
- Describe an issue or concern that is related to your nurse practitioner specialty, and explain its impact on health care outcomes
- Explain how the theory or theoretical model can be used as a framework to guide evidence-based practice to address the issue or concern, and discuss the unique insight or perspective offered through the application of this theory or theoretical model.
- Conclusion to the presentation
Preparing the presentation
- Application: Use Microsoft PowerPoint to create the presentation. Submit as a .ppt or .pptx file.
Length: The PowerPoint presentation must be
6-8 total slides
(excluding title and reference slides).
- Speaker notes should be used and include in-text citations when applicable. Use the Notes Page view feature in PowerPoint to include speaker notes in the file.
A minimum of
scholarly literature sources must be used.
Submission: Submit your PowerPoint file to the Week 7 Dropbox.
Best Practices in Preparing the Presentation
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation:
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Follow submission requirements.
- Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
- Review the Creating a Professional Presentation located in Course Resources.
- Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
A minimum of
scholarly literature sources must be used. A minimum of 3 scholarly references are used. References should be published within the past 5 years. A primary source (original theory or writings from theorist) may be used, and primary sources may be older than 5 years. Textbooks are not considered scholarly resources.
- Abide by CCN academic integrity policy.
Introduction includes general information on what will be presented. Identify sections of the PowerPoint presentation.
Identification of Theory or Model (2 slides)
Identification and overview of one theory or model. Explanation of its relevance to the selected area of advanced practice nursing.
Provide speaker notes. Speaker notes and/or slides include citations from scholarly nursing literature which support the assertions made.
Issue or Concern in selected area of Advanced Practice Nursing
Describe one specific issue or concern within the selected area of advanced practice nursing. Explanation of the impact of this issue or concern on health outcomes. Provide speaker notes. Speaker notes and/or slides include citations from scholarly nursing literature which validate the importance of the issue or concern.
Theory as Framework for Evidence-based Practice
Explain how the theory or model can serve as a framework to support evidence-based practice to address the issue or concern. Discuss the unique insight or perspective offered through the application of this theory or model. Provide speaker notes. Speaker notes and/or slides include citations from scholarly nursing literature which support the assertions which you present.
Summarize key information presented in PowerPoint presentation. Provide speaker notes.
Total CONTENT Points= 160 pts
Ideas and information that come from scholarly sources must be cited and referenced correctly. In-text and parenthetical citations must be used and may be provided on the slide or within the speaker notes. Slides, speaker notes, and references are consistent with APA current edition format. A minimum of
scholarly references are used.
Presentation of Slides
PowerPoint presentation includes title slide,
, reference slide(s). Presentation of slides are professional in appearance and tone. Balance among space, words and graphics, and color is effective.
Includes all the following elements. A minimum of three scholarly literature references are used: – References are from scholarly sources. – References should be published within the past 5 years. – A primary source (original theory or writings from theorist) may be used, and primary sources may be older than 5 years. – Textbooks may be used but do not count towards scholarly resources
Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in the APA current edition.
Total FORMAT Points= 40 pts
ASSIGNMENT TOTAL=200 points