Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
Your Signature Assignment in Module 8 will be a multi-part project. The document you are creating will have two exhibits attached. One of the exhibits will be your resume (Exhibit A), and the second exhibit will be a cover letter (Exhibit B). Before writing these two exhibits you will conduct an inventory of your experiences, to include:
- Prior employment
- Education, and
- Any professional organizations to which you belong.
STEP 1: You will implement the writing process from Section 9 to work your way through the finished project. The main body of the document will provide explanations of the information included in your resume and cover letter.
The documents must follow the APA format. It will include a cover page, introduction paragraph (min 5-7 sentences), followed by the body of the document (see below), a conclusion paragraph (min 5-7 sentences), reference page (Identify the position), accompanied by the two exhibits. The body and the two exhibits will be submitted as one document in dropbox.
The body of the document will explain the various things that you include in your resume. Use powerful action words listed in the text on page 243. You may also look at them as talking points for the interview. Each one of them should be in paragraph form with a minimum of 5 sentences. Things to consider when you are developing this part would be:
- What did you do there?
- Give examples?
- Skills used?
Skills learned. Identify challenges and accomplishments.
- Each skill
- Give examples of how you used them.
- How may they be beneficial in the position are applying for?
Schools, training, certifications, etc…
- Describe benefits and learning that will support the position being considered.
- Schools, training, certifications, etc…
Professional organization listing:
Identify the organization
- How the organization benefits the industry
- How it adds value to you as the candidate
- Identify the organization
STEP 2: Create a professional resume based on the information in STEP 1
STEP 3: Create a cover letter, using
- The information from STEP 1
- A current job opening (found on the internet)
Submit all items in one Microsoft Word or Open Office Write document.
Be sure to use the nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs learned in this course. Follow the recommendations for sentences and paragraphs while making sure everything is spelled correctly with the excellent grammar you have learned.
Length: 8 – 10 pages (body – 6 – 8 pages, resume – 1 page, and cover letter – 1 page); answers must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA style. These do not count towards the minimum word amount for this assignment.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
Filename: Name your saved file according to your first initial, last name, and the assignment number (for example, “RHall Assignment 1letter.docx” or “RHall Assignment 1memo.docx”)